Bee and Wasp Stings on my Dog

Dr Kate Mornement - Vet and Pet Behaviourist profile picture

Dr Kate Mornement - Vet and Pet Behaviourist

PhD in Companion Animal Behaviour, BSc(Hons) in Zoology

Dr Kate Mornement is an Applied Animal Behaviourist, Consultant and Educator to pet parents, industry, government and media. She has a PhD which focused on companion animal behaviour from Monash University and a Bachelor of Science with Honours in Zoology (Animal Behaviour) from Latrobe university.

Bee and Wasp Stings on my Dog

Insect stings from bees and wasps are quite common in dogs because they spend so much time outdoors, especially in the warmer months. Running and playing on grass and in bushes can put dog at increased risk of an insect sting. Dogs are also curious creatures and this curiosity often leads to a sting from a bee or wasp on the face, muzzle area or inside the mouth.

When a bee stings a dog, the stinger comes away from the bee and lodges in the skin, killing the bee in the process, meaning they can only sting once.

Wasps, on the other hand, can sting multiple times if aggravated. These stings release venom which cause pain, mild swelling and discomfort.

In some cases, dogs may have an allergic reaction to a bee or wasp sting.

How to Identify and Treat a Bee or Wasp Sting

Bee stings are usually easy to identify if the poisonous barbed sack is still lodged in your dog’s skin. If so, remove it by gently scraping it away trying to avoid damaging the sack in the process as this will release more venom.

Wasp stings are potentially more dangerous because they can sting numerous times.

A wasp sting on a dog will cause redness and swelling at the site of the sting(s).

Your dog may show signs including restlessness, whining, licking the affected area, pawing at their face or raising their paw if these are the affected areas. Often, a mild sting will cause temporary pain and discomfort which should subside after a short time.

Is my dog having an allergic reaction?

Unfortunately, some dogs have allergic reactions to insect bites. Common signs that your dog has had an allergic reaction include severe swelling at the site of the sting, weakness, collapse, breathing difficulties and swelling resembling hives on the body.

When to visit the vet after a bee or wasp sting

If you suspect your dog has had an allergic reaction or they’ve had a bee or wasp sting inside or near their mouth, get them to a vet immediately.

Bee and wasp stings inside or near the airway can be life threatening because they cause swelling that reduces or prevents breathing.

If you have any concerns about your dog following a bee or wasp sting it’s best to seek veterinary treatment.

It’s also important to avoid encouraging your dog to chase or catch insects including flies. Although flies are harmless, if you reward your dog for catching and eating them, they may think bees and wasps are fair game!

Related Articles

How much should I exercise my dog?

It depends on the size and type of dog. Read on for more info.

Road Tripping with your Dog

It is very common to organise a road trip with your dog with everything else in the back seat. To ensure it all goes smoothly, here are 5 top tips to help you prepare for taking a dog on a road trip with you.

What are the Best Dog Toys for My Dog?

With so many different dog toys available it can be confusing and a little overwhelming choosing the right toy for your best friend.

How can we help?

I own a
and would like
help with